Can't Compile Orbit 2-2.4

All,

I am trying to upgrade Gnome and when I ./configure Orbit 2-2.4 I get this:

checking alignment of CORBA_octet... 0
configure: error: Failed to find alignment. Check config.log for details.

I have linked my config.log here   http://support.certco.com/test/config.log

I am ruinning Red Hat 7.2.  I am upgrading to Gnome 2.0 and have installed / upgraded all packages up until Orbit, which is step #14 on the Gnome 2.0 build order, http://www.gnome.org/start/2.0/installation.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Chris (self-described Linux n00b)

Jill,

On Thu, 2002-05-23 at 21:13, Jill Mitchell wrote:
> When I run ./configure, it gets to: checking alignment of CORBA_octet... 0
> and stops, with this message:
> configure: error: Failed to find alignment. Check config.log for details.

Please do what it says; check config.log for details; at least look for
the check in there - usually the problem is some duff includes, overly
anal warning flags in CFLAGS, or something similar.

> I'm not sure what to do - I'm installing ORBit2 because it's a
> dependency for some other programs I'm trying to install. ORBit 0.5 IS
> installed on the system already.
>
> I'm running Slackware 8, 2.4.6 kernel, Gnome 1.4 (I'm trying to upgrade
> this), and have GTK+-2 installed......

You have some serious system / environment problem that would produce a
broken ORB silently without that check; that's why it's there. Perhaps
if you can't find the section in config.log, you can upload it somewhere
and post a URI.

HTH,

mmeeks@gnu.org  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot