Re: Orbit Performance Questions

Michael,

    Excellent information.

>> I would like to see an ORBit2 version that is sub-settable to meet the
>> "minimum-CORBA" specification.  (i.e. No Dynamic stuff)
>
>    We're pretty minimal; in ORBit2 it should be easy to kill the
> dynamicany stuff, just by removing the library from the link in
> ORBit2/src/orb/Makefile.am; nothing else there can really go though.
>
>>   Plus, for
>> embedded work I'd like to eliminate "Any" handling.  Although I don't
think
>> that is called out in the OMG specifications.  Removal of "Any's" and
the
>> associated Marshalling to handle them can reduce the footprint even
>> further.
>
>    Ah - well; this will be no saving in ORBit2 - since we only use a
>generic approach that can easily be re-used for Anys. I think more
>savings could be had by chopping great chunks out of the POA - in terms
>of crazy options / exceptions.

All the "extra" options in CORBA Real-Time are one reason why I think it
is bloated.   For applications that care about End-To-End QoS the settings
are probably usefull....  But, you can always achieve the same thing in an
embedded system by having an efficient design...  i.e. Axe the bloat.

-Dave

Michael Meeks <michael@ximian.com>@gnome.org on 01/04/2002 04:22:30 PM

Please respond to orbit-list@gnome.org

Sent by:  orbit-list-admin@gnome.org

> Suffice it to say....  ORBit 0.5.8-12 is slightly faster than ACE TAO on
> most things.   ACE TAO does have slightly better handling of CORBA Any's
> though and isn't a slouch.  Also, ORBit win's on the executable size
> comparason.  MICO and ACE TAO are HUGE.   Thus, not very suitable for
> embedded systems.

     Ah - I'm glad you said that; since ORBit2 should be somewhat smaller
than ORBit, if no faster :-)

> I would like to see an ORBit2 version that is sub-settable to meet the
> "minimum-CORBA" specification.  (i.e. No Dynamic stuff)

     We're pretty minimal; in ORBit2 it should be easy to kill the
dynamicany stuff, just by removing the library from the link in
ORBit2/src/orb/Makefile.am; nothing else there can really go though.

>   Plus, for
> embedded work I'd like to eliminate "Any" handling.  Although I don't
think
> that is called out in the OMG specifications.  Removal of "Any's" and the
> associated Marshalling to handle them can reduce the footprint even
> further.

     Ah - well; this will be no saving in ORBit2 - since we only use a
generic approach that can easily be re-used for Anys. I think more
savings could be had by chopping great chunks out of the POA - in terms
of crazy options / exceptions.

     Interesting,