Re: ORBit 0.5 buffer limits in sequences

Hi Ewan,

On Wed, 2002-08-07 at 11:33, Ewan Birney wrote:
> Of course, one solution to all of this may be to upgrade to ORBit2 but as
> ORBit 2 needs glib2 it is hard thing to roll across the entire system...

	Just a quick plug for ORBit2 first; glib2 will parallel install with
glib1 so that you can develop for both platforms concurrently, also
ORBit2 will make your life so much easier.

> ... any - the problem is that when I send across little sequences it is
> fine:

	The real root of the problem is here:

> My ORBit is 0.5.1
              ^^^^^

	Or to be more precise, this bug was fixed sometime before orbit-0.5.16
which is what I have here.

	The bug was a totally bogus handling of writev, which resulted in gut
wrenchingly junk code paths being taken and bad things happening.

	Of course - people still see this sort of sequence problem when you
compile with mis-matched IDL files client to server. It also
(inevitably) causes a segv / memory smash. In ORBit2 it doesn't segv the
server, but returns a nice exception and fails.

	HTH,