Re: How to capture orbit notification in rep input handling

Hi Mahmood,

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Mahmood Ali [CONTRACTOR] wrote:
> I am trying to add gconf to sawfish.
>
> Currently, any ORBit messages sent by gconf (generated by calling
> gconf_engine_set_string or gconf_engine_notify_add) do not get to
> sawfish, which is in rep (lisp like interpreter) loop.

        Ah; ok - so the short answer is that librep is unneccessarily
duplicating a scad of code that is written, and works in glib - and that
it should be using the glib mainloop.

        Another answer might be that you need to poll the incoming file
descriptors; see orbit.h:

/****
     This function lets you use your own event loop, if you so wish.
     Also see IIOP.h's IIOP{Add,Remove}ConnectionHandler function
pointers,
     which are app-settable (you should set them before CORBA_ORB_init,
     if you want them to be useful)
 ****/

    /* needs to be called by your event loop when data comes in on one of
       the GIOPConnection fd's */
void ORBit_custom_run_setup(CORBA_ORB orb, CORBA_Environment *ev);
        void ORBit_handle_incoming(GIOPConnection *connection);

        This API is unsupported, and unmentionably horrible, your mileage
may vary wildly with it. I would very strongly suggest that you re-write
librep to use the glib mainloop instead.

        ORBit2 does not provide these methods,

        HTH,