Re: client locks up somewhere in giop

Hi again Ross,

On 9 Oct 2001, Ross Golder wrote:
> I have written the beginnings of a bot program, using ORBit for
> inter-process communication between the main bot and a dynamic array
> of out-of-process modules that implement the different types of
> functionality. It is an excercies in using CORBA more than anything.

        Sounds fascinating; I look forward to the tar balls.

> However, I am unable to determine why, after a few successfull
> interactions between the two processes, the caller goes into a
> CPU-caning loop waiting for the called object to return from a call.
>
> #9  0x40158bfd in pthread_start_thread (arg=0x40abec00) at manager.c:262
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

        As Sam suggests, ORBit-stable is not thread safe, ( and is
otherwise a bit of a disaster area ). I would _very_ much reccommend using
ORBit2, where we have put a bit of effort into thread safety, and we are
in an active development phase, instead of a paranoiac freeze. Any MT
patches for ORBit2 greatly appreciated.

> g_list_prepend (list=0x0, data=0x8055338) at glist.c:198

        The list probably gets corrupted by one thread manipulating it
while the other is, or somesuch like that - especialy with the
re-enterancy the list pointers might lie around for quite a while.

        HTH,