Re: orbit & win32

Hi Emre,

On 3 Oct 2001, Emre Turkay wrote:
> Is it possible to use orbit with win32 ? Specifically, I want to
> access an object implementation which resides on a linux machine from
> win32.

        Well - it's untested. As Bill says we should interoperate with any
ORB supporting GIOP - this would be really nice to test fully.

        However - it seems with ORBit2, that if you can get a cross
platform build environment working; Cygwin32 etc. if you are slightly
expert with such things; then you should be able to build the latest glib
/ linc / ORBit2 and use ORBit2 natively. The latest versions of glib add
more portability code than the old versions, so again ORBit2 is likely to
be far easier to host under Win32.

        I'd be most interested in integrating any win32 port patches for
linc / ORBit2 that you can come up with; also it might be feasible to
create a better 'unix domain socket like' efficient win32 specific local
transport for 'linc' which would also be much fun; it'd be nice to compete
in the win32 world - and indeed is a prerequisite for the more grandiose
and amusing pipe-dream of porting Gnome apps to Win32.