Re: ORBit-cpp & ORBit2 ...

Hi Douglas,

On Sat, 26 May 2001, Douglas S. Keester wrote:
> I would think that making it fully multithreaded would be the way to go.

        Since I am not aware of what 'fully multithreaded' entails, I
can't tell you that it is. However, ORBit2 appears to protect many of its
internal structures with locks in such a way as to suggest thread safety.

> Perhaps we could bring the ORBit-mt developers in and consilidate even
> more. ;-)  I would be interested to hear what others on the list would
> have to say about this topic.

        I'd like to fold the mt developers / code back into ORBit2, if
there are such people out there lurking ? long term forks are bad news.

> Having support for multiple languages in ORBit is only fitting with
> the spirit of the project. Having C and C++ bindings available by
> default and having a good framework for adding other language bidings
> later definietly increases the overall value of the software for use
> with GNOME.

        I'd be most interested in having the C++ work in the ORBit2
package as long as:

        * it is conditionaly compiled, ie. one doesn't need the latest foo
        bar woznik 7.8.9.1 compiler to build ORBit2.

        * it is in a totaly separate library, to stop the acute C++ ABI
        breakage plauge from hurting C users.

> Well, you all have heard my opinions on the topic. Does anyone else
> have any feelings on this?

        Yes, I'd just like people to step forward and do the work, and
preferably Elliot to mastermind the directory structuring we would need so
we can import the code.