RE: idl-compiler creates 0xdeadbeaf generating skelsinorbit-stabl e-0-5

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Kennard White wrote:

> Propagating "free_strings" in the clean-up code of the demarshalling
> is a dead-end. Aside from it being horribly unlikely to get the IDL
> compiler correct, that approach is not extensible to more complex
> types than strings, where the choice of allocation (GIOP buffer ptr vs
> heap alloc) depends on the received endian-ness.

I very may well have foot-in-mouth disease, because now that I am
researching the problem, I am realizing how little I remember. The
endianness thing (where you can't know at compile time whether the region
to be freed needs free()ing) is the good reason not to do this in the IDL
compiler.

Sebastian's attempted fix ("let's change memory leak to memory
corruption!" :) was pretty broken, but it seems like my IDL compiler
suggestion was worse gibberish, and magic hack is the best real solution.

> Watching this mailing list for the last few months has been
> both comical and frustrating. Bug by bug, you've been finding
> and trying to fix or bugs that I already fixed in the
> HEAD version. The same is true of other features, such as
> INS, making an orb.idl available, etc.

Well, it's sort of hard to expect us to just use HEAD outright, when it is
binary incompatible.

-- Elliot
The truth knocks on my door, and I say
"Go away. I'm looking for the truth"