RE: idl-compiler creates 0xdeadbeaf generating skelsinorbit-stabl e-0-5

All,

The "magic hack" isnt a hack -- it is just a more sophisticated
use of the "prefix block" that appears before any memory
allocated via CORBA. I extended the concept to include
an idea of "non-heap allocation", and extended the demarshalling
code to tag certain types (strings in particular) with
this type of allocation block. I had envisioned extending
this technique to other types -- any sequence or array
that does not require endianness conversion or re-alignment.

Propagating "free_strings" in the clean-up code of the
demarshalling is a dead-end. Aside from it being horribly
unlikely to get the IDL compiler correct, that approach
is not extensible to more complex types than strings,
where the choice of allocation (GIOP buffer ptr vs heap alloc)
depends on the received endian-ness.

Watching this mailing list for the last few months has been
both comical and frustrating. Bug by bug, you've been finding
and trying to fix or bugs that I already fixed in the
HEAD version. The same is true of other features, such as
INS, making an orb.idl available, etc.

Kennard