  Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 09:06:13 +0100
  From: Sebastian Wilhelmi <wilhelmi ira uka de>
  To: orbit-list gnome org
  Subject: Re: memory leaks in orbit

  Hi Abhishek,

  >    All the orbit servers (or servant) executables are leaking some memory
on
  > repeated calls. I have tested this for orbit-name-server(redhat7/uClinux)
and
  > also for echo-server(on uClinux).
  >
  >    I even used the preinstalled(that came as part of redhat7) orbit-name
  > server and got the same leaks. My estimate puts the leak to around 100
bytes
  > per call (may vary). The attached file shows how to reproduce the same on
  > linux (redhat7) and also the logs of process size as it grew.
  >
  >    The installed version said "libIDL 0.6.8 (CORBA 2.2)" while the
debugging
  > version is 0.5.7 of ORBit. The debug version had communication over n/w
  > enabled in the code, while no such effort was undertaken for installed
  > orbit-name-server.
  >
  >    I am sure others would have noticed this.
  >    Any suggestion as to how to fix it would be welcome.

  What do you expect? You are doing

  name-client --stdin bind_new_context test4

  So you are creating new contexts on the server side. That of course has to
  consume memory. For echo-server I can see no leaks, actually.

  Bye,
  Sebastian
  --
  Sebastian Wilhelmi
  mailto:wilhelmi ira uka de

Abhishek Thakur @
Software Engineer
Synchronous Inc.
Ph:(o)408-284-6136 (r)408-730-1690 (fx)815-377-0514

Get free email and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com