Re: ORBIT-0.5.7 & AIX 4.3.3

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 03:44:57PM -0500, John Marquart wrote:
> Joel,
>
> 	I do have xlc - and like it quite a bit - I haven't been able to
> get certain parts of the gnome packges (in particular glib) to compile
> under xlc - and have been working under the assumption that i should
> compile the whole thing w/ the same compiler (is this true?  does it
> matter?)

	Hmm, glib should compile just fine.  The linkage on AIX is
usually not good with libtool (I have my own copy of libtool for this),
but that shouldn't be compiler related.
	For C code, you do not need to worry about gcc vs xlc (think of
the fact that libc is xlc, and your stuff is gcc :-).  But gcc produces
terrible code on AIX.
	It is with C++ code that different compilers causes
insurmountable problems.

> also - I am sure your suggestion is on the right path - but i can't get it
> to work.  I took a look - and the only files that apparently defines
> fd_set is <sys/time.h>.  That is already included in both IIOP-private.h
> and connection.c - I found one old e-mail suggesting putting it before the
> #include "IIOP-private.h" directive in connection.c - but that has no
> apparent effect.

	It is in either sys/time.h or sys/select.h.  The fact that you
are using gcc may or may not turn on some defines (like _AIX, _AIX41
_AIX43, _POSIX_SOURCE, etc) that may be required.  I don't have an AIX
box anymore, so I cannot look at it myself.  Maybe if you try with xlc
the right bit will be defined.
	Here's the configure.in snippet I use in dsh to check for
fd_set.  dsh happily compiles on AIX and Linux.

# Check if <sys/select.h> needs to be included for fd_set
AC_MSG_CHECKING([for fd_set])
AC_TRY_COMPILE([#include <sys/types.h>],
        [fd_set readMask, writeMask;], dsh_ok=yes, dsh_ok=no)
if test $dsh_ok = yes; then
    AC_MSG_RESULT([yes, found in sys/types.h])
else
    AC_HEADER_EGREP(fd_mask, sys/select.h, dsh_ok=yes)
    if test $dsh_ok = yes; then
        AC_DEFINE(HAVE_SYS_SELECT_H)
        AC_MSG_RESULT([yes, found in sys/select.h])
    else
    AC_DEFINE(NO_FD_SET)
    AC_MSG_RESULT(no)
    fi
fi

	Obviously, I have this in the appropriate files:

#ifdef HAVE_SYS_SELECT_H
#include <sys/select.h>
#endif  /* HAVE_SYS_SELECT_H */

	I hope this helps.