Re: Interface Repository (not confuse)

Hi Frank,

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Frank Rehberger wrote:
> One might mention that each Python application could bring the IDL
> files with itself, but interfaces might change slightly during
> time,i.e, an parameter could change from short to long, and old and
> new IDLs could be inconsistent. It should exist one and only one
> interface definition for every service.

        Sure - currently we install type libraries containing the
interface information in ORBit/IInterface form so that we can dlopen them
quickly - and we don't need interminable parsing / string compares / ugly
hacks.

> The loadpath for an individual IR could be analogous to the
> smalleiffel loadpath for libraries (see http://smalleiffel.loria.fr/)

        Currently the loadpath is set by:

                * the compile time path of the ORB
                * the contents of getenv ("ORBIT_TYPELIB_PATH");
                * the contents of getenv ("GNOME_PATH");

        In that order. If you want to override libraries, they just have
to come sooner in the path structure.

> The question is which interfaces the IR should offer.  The answer is:
> This must be individual for each user, beacuse as developer I do need
> other services as usual users, non-stable services etc.

        Hmm, this is upto the components - they should only install stable
interfaces; but it's also up to the hacker - he only imports libraries
that he asks for specificaly with ORBit_small_load_typelib - so we have it
both ways.