Re: [Fwd: Re: [geeks] ORBit under IRIX]

Hi Dave,

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   Hi Michael, thanks for responding.

	My pleasure - here to help (mostly).

> !       char *fmt = CPP_PROGRAM " " CPP_NOSTDINC " -I- -I%s %s \"%s\" 2>/dev/null";

	I can't think why one might want to pass '-I-' to cpp; very odd

>   This gets ORBit to build under IRIX 6.5.  Of course after spending a
> while tracking that down, the whole thing (getting gnome working) went
> to hell in a handbasket while trying to build oaf.  I've given
> up in frustration...looks like gnome isn't in my future. :-(

	I'm extremely sorry about that. Tell you what - if you try and
build Gnome 2.0 instead - then I'll spend a lot of time helping you and
folding any fixes back into the system. With gnome 1.4 it's far more
difficult, since it's all hard frozen.

>   Suggestions are welcome...

	If the problem affects ORBit2 [ looks like it might if it's in
libIDL ] I'd be most interested in fixing it. Gnome 2.0 is also
substantialy ANSI C - which should make it easier to build lots of places.

	To build Gnome 2.0 you'd need to pull everything from CVS; there
should be some links from developer.gnome.org on how to build it (I think)
otherwise reading vicious-build-scripts might help [ but I've never used
that ].