Re: ORBIT 8-bit/16-bit Strings

Hi Beutner,

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Beutner, Rolf wrote:
> I communicate with another ORB (Visibroker), call some methods with
> "String"-Parameters and have a problem to transfer 8-bit-chars > 0x7f.

        Great - it's really good to have someone testing this.

> The hex-code of the chars:
>
> Sign, Hex-Code
> ä     E4
> ö     F6
> ü     FC
> Ä     C4
> Ö     D6
> Ü     DC
> ß     DF
>
> If I transfer
> "a;b;c;ä;ö;ü" the other side gets (hex-coded) "61;62;63;ffe4;fff6;fffc;"
> so the characters greater than 0x7F are coded in 16 bit.
>
> Is it possible to prevent this, to just transfer 8bit-chars?

        We should transfer everything as utf-8; this should work fine in
ORBit2 - is there any chance you could test it there ? since ORBit-stable
is now in deep frozen, minimal changes type mode.

        If you really need to get it across in an ISO-latin1 type charset,
you need to push it into a sequence<octet> - but that's really bad news; I
suggest passing your strings as utf-8.

        You really need to use the Gnome / gtk+ 2.0 platform to get this
right though;