Re: ORBit-0.5.7 bug: non-root process can't talk to root process!

Hi Elliot,

> > We could simply add a
> >
> > if ! (ORBIT_MAJOR_VERSION > 0 || \
> >      (OTBIT_MAJOR_VERSION == 0 && ORBIT_MINOR_VERSION > 4) || \
> >      (ORBIT_MAJOR_VERSION == 0 && ORBIT_MINOR_VERSION == 4 && \
> >       ORBIT_MICRO_VERSION >= 90))
> > #error Your libraries and headers for ORBit should at least have the
> > #error version 0.4.90, preferably one of the 0.5.* series to compile this.
> > #endif
> >
> > to all headers generated by orbit-idl.
>
> The problem arises at runtime, not compile time. At compile time, things
> will generate onerous warnings etc.

Ah, you meant run time problems, sounds more reasonable, now that I think
about it....., but you don't want a version check in every call to a
stub/skel? I actually don't see a simple solution to that problem. However I
think we can savely ignore that special issue someone's using an externel
compiled ORBit program locally with an ancient ORBit library.

Its up to you. Enabling that error return sounds like a good solution though.

While I think about it another possibility would be to check in
giop_recv_reply_buffer_use_2, that the connection cnx is still alive and
return otherwise. That would be simple and portable and would solve this very
problem as well, I suppose.

Bye,
Sebastian
--