CORBA/ORBit Simple Name Server Examples

Rainer Blessing wrote:

> Hallo Alejandro,
>
> Monday, April 09, 2001, 3:34:52 PM, you wrote:
>
> AI> OK will do. Let me undust this stuff.
> Thanks !
>
> --
>
>  Rainer
>                 -=0 www.theblessing.net 0=-

Hi Rainer,

Here are two hacked versions of the echo example. The one with _ns is
the name server example.

Name server is quite cool as it is
1) made in CORBA, I mean it's a CORBA server built with IDL
2) it's like an IOR distributor this is what I mean by this:

Instead of having a bunch of IORs in a common place [a web server for
example] you can have only one ior [the name server IOR] and let him
distribute your objects.
This is what the name server does in general.

So you will see the differences between the normal echo client and the
ns client, because I left the original code there and it's commented.
In the server the same thing. You will that instead of spitting out an
IOR, the server registers the Object w/ the name server.

To get it working you must first start the name server and capture
mannualy the spitted IOR.
I can't remember how to start the thing but I think it's......let me
see..........   OK so I stopped being lazy and started the darns thing:

Here is how to test it:

1) run orbit-name-server    ........... it spits out an IOR .........
save it as server.ior
     1a) how to save the IOR : in the shell do: echo (now take your
mouse and select the IOR very precisely, now press button 3 of your
mouse or buttons 1&2 simultaneously) > server.ior  .        The process
should overwrite the server.ior in that directory.
2) run the server w/    ./echo-server -ORBNamingIOR=<the ior>
...............  It should run fine and be waiting for requests.
3) run the client in a different dir with the same Naming switch and
voila !   It should be working.

Also I remember a fine reference, specially for shool here it is:

http://www.nd.edu/~rgarcia4/orbit/examples/

My examples are way simpler though!

I hope this helps you.

Best Regards and Gook Luck.