Re: Problems with CORBA and SSH

Sebastian Wilhelmi wrote:

> GNOME finds the name-service with help of X server properties. Try to run the
> command `xprop -root GNOME_NAME_SERVER` on the remote machine. My guess is,
> that you simply didn't set DISPLAY or disallowed accessto your
> X-Windows-server. Try ssh -X.

We eventually got to the bottom of this one.

The name service, as you say, is stored in the X server properties,
which means the exact same IOR information is given to Gnome apps
running on both the local and the remote machines. By default however,
ORBit is configured by GNOME to use UNIX sockets and not TCP. As a
result, attempts to connect to ORBit on the remote machine cause an
attempt to connect to a UNIX socket that does not exist - the connection
fails and the cryptic error message results.

A workaround is to switch from UNIX socket support to TCP support, but
this has security issues and is very firewall unfriendly.

The correct solution is to make SSH aware of CORBA connections and have
them forwarded automatically as X11 connections are now.

In theory, this should just mean that SSH should look for the
GNOME_NAME_SERVER property in the X config, and then forward the socket
it finds there to the remote machine from the local machine. Will this
work?

Regards,
Graham