Problems with CORBA and SSH

Hi all,

It seems that Gnome apps that include CORBA support do not run remotely
over SSH.

When I try to run gnomecc (for example) on a remote machine (on the same
subnet, no firewalls or filtering trickery involved) it goes like this:

[11:26am] bcngrle dsnstar:~> gnomecc

** WARNING **: Could not get name service!

** ERROR **: file goad.c: line 1237 (goad_server_register): assertion
failed: (name_server != CORBA_OBJECT_NIL)
aborting...
Abort
Exit 134

Unfortunately the message "assertion failed: (name_server !=
CORBA_OBJECT_NIL)" may mean a whole bunch to a developer who wrote the
code, but it means absolutely nothing to me. What exactly is this
message trying to tell me?

If I assume a CORBA name service is not running on the remote machine
(which it isn't for my login ID) and try start it manaully I get this:

[11:26am] bcngrle dsnstar:~> gnome-name-service
Exit 1

Has anyone out there managed to get remote Gnome programs to work at
all, ie where the gnome-name-service runs on a local machine and the
Gnome app you want to run runs on another?

How does a Gnome program know what CORBA server to connect to?

Regards,
Graham