Re: ORBIT, GNOME, and security

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, Dietmar Maurer wrote:

> I have just found the following statement in the FAQ:
>
> > The GNOME security discussion lead to disabling IIOP (i.e. listening
> > on TCP/IP ports) per default. If you want to
> > use ORBit over the network you need to turn it on again
>
> What does that mean? Isn't it possible to make a real client/server
> application using GNOME with ORBit (without security loss)?
> Please can someone give me a link to more information.

echo 'ORBIIOPIPv4=1' >> /etc/orbitrc

> And just another question: Is there a way to get object
> references via url (hostname,tcp_port,object_key)?

Technically speaking, IOR:... is a URL already.

I think CVS head has some code to handle iioploc:// and iiop:// URLs in
CORBA_ORB_string_to_object(), but I think there are no good reasons to use
these - their advantage of human readability is irrelevant, and they have
a big disadvantage of not encoding lots of information useful to the ORB.

-- Elliot
DEAR IRS, Please cancel my subscription.