ORBIT, GNOME, and security

I have just found the following statement in the FAQ:

> The GNOME security discussion lead to disabling IIOP (i.e. listening
> on TCP/IP ports) per default. If you want to
> use ORBit over the network you need to turn it on again

What does that mean? Isn't it possible to make a real client/server
application using GNOME with ORBit (without security loss)?
Please can someone give me a link to more information.

And just another question: Is there a way to get object
references via url (hostname,tcp_port,object_key)?

Regards,

    Dietmar