question object servers going down

Hello all,
I had this question about how to know when the servers go down. The stale IORs are still being used by the clients without raising any exception. The environment variable ev._major is not being set to CORBA_SYSTEM_EXCEPTION. how to overcome this problem??

2)Say if the server is running and the client has bound to it, then suddenly the server goes down and the object doesn;t know it and doesn't do a bind everytime it calls the server functions, then why is the connection in *-stubs.c still work out without raising any exception even though the server is down??

I would greatly appreciate any answers to my questions.

TIA

Rajesh