Re: Still having memory problems with CORBA objects in ORBit

Title: Re: Still having memory problems with CORBA objects in ORBit

I've found njamd to be very helpful when looking for malloc related problems. Can't remember the URL, google should find if for you though. I found njamd to be well documented and reasonable easy to use.

Darrin

Original Message dated 10/10/00, 4:57:25 PM

Author: Sam Couter <sam topic com au>

Re: Re: Still having memory problems with CORBA objects in ORBit:

Andrew Murie <andrewm treshna com> wrote:

> the problem is that repeatedly calling factory_GetDataObject() to create
> an object and data_delete() to delete it slowly causes the server's
> memory usage to increase, leading me to believe I'm not freeing all
> resources correctly.
>
> does anyone have an example of using a factory to create and delete
> objects?

I have some code (ORBit 0.5.3 on Debian Woody GNU/Linux) which is bare-bones
code: A factory to produce an object, and a delete() method on the object.
The creation method uses the impl_foo_bar__create() function generated by
orbit-idl, and the delete() method calls the impl_foo_bar__destroy()
function, also generated by orbit-idl.

This code leaks around 4 bytes every time I allocate and deallocate an
object. I've looked into the code generated by orbit-idl, it looks to be
deallocating everything it allocated. I followed the code into libORBit, and
got lost along the way, but couldn't see anything obviously wrong. I'm not
familiar enough with the ORBit code to find the cause of this problem.

Like I said, this code is minimal, and as far as I can tell I haven't made
any mistakes. I've decided the leak is somewhere within libORBit, I just
can't find it. :(

I've seen similar questions on the mailing list before, but no answers that
solve the problem.
--
Sam Couter          |   Internet Engineer   |   http://www.topic.com.au/
sam topic com au    |   tSA Consulting      |