Re: OAF questions

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Igor Borojevic - Sun Ireland - Central Test - Performance Test Engineer wrote:

> Is there any examples of using oaf?
>
> What I want to do is to launch some applications i.e. gcalc or applets
> i.e. geyes_applet.

OAF activates CORBA objects, not applications or applets. There is a
rather important distinction here...

Applications are just executables that get run.

Applets are applications that implement CORBA objects that the panel
communicates with.

To launch applications, you have to run the executable. OAF does not help
you here.

To launch/use an applet, you have to use the panel, because there is a lot
more to an applet's activation and functionality than just activating the
CORBA object.

The panel will eventually use OAF (for GNOME 2.0), but currently it uses
GOAD.

It seems that OAF is pretty irrelevant in what I think you want to do
(test applications and applets).
-- Elliot
"The Pythagorean Theorem employed 24 words, the Lord's Prayer has 66 words,
Archimedes Principle has 67 words, the 10 Commandments have 179 words, the
Gettysburg Address had 286 words, the Declaration of Independence, 1,300 words and
finally the European Commission's regulation on the sale of cabbage: 26,911 words."