Re: Orbit's temp. directory

On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, Elliot Lee wrote:

> Basically, you can hack the ORBit code yourself
>
> It would be a really bad idea. /home is very often on NFS, and UNIX
> sockets on an NFS-mounted path don't work on a number of operating
> systems, and the directory is per-[machine,user], not simply per-user.

But you don't _really_ know that /tmp is not on NFS either.  Would it
not be better to have the default be overrideable with an environmental
orbit-path variable (or something) and then have ORBit always check
to confirm that UDSs work in whatever directory it is using, raising a
fatal error if not?

--
Todd Lewis                                       tlewis secureworks net