Re: connections over networks

Rolf Schaeuble wrote:

> I wanna have a server run on one computer and the client on the other. So
> how can I do this. Is it enough to have the IOR of the server objects (or
> name server) because the IOR contains an IP, or do I have to do something
> else.
>
> Can someone help me with this?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Rolf Schaeuble

If it's ORBit to ORBit it's quite easy.

A) without the name server:

1) you will have to run your server and genrate the IOR
2) on the client machine it is always a good idea to recompile your client
there, for this you will need the idl
3) put the IOR in an accesible place (a web server, or the client's local
directory for example) by the client, but remember that every time you start
the server it's a different IOR, so you have to update it every time. For this
reason it is a good idea to have the server generate it on a web server, but
for testing it is not necessary.
4) make sure that you have a file called orbitrc in your /etc directory (on
both the server and the client) and it should contain the following lines:
ORBIIOPUSock=1
ORBIIOPIPv4=1
notice that I omitted ORBIIOPIPv6 on purpose because it does not work in my
case.
5) make sure that you edit your /etc/hosts file and that both computers are
declared there. Also change the loopback (127.0.0.1) where it reads
localhost.localdomain to yourhostname. This will break Apache if you have it
installed and you will have to reconfigure Apache later. Also make sure that
your /etc/hosts file contains a reference to your ethX interface and it has
the IP address of the preffered network interface (usually eth0). Yes, you
will have two entries for the same hostname. I dunno if everyone has had the
same experience but I have found that ORBit reads the hostname from the lo
interface in the hosts file. If I'm wrong someone else might want to expand on
this.

This is how I got it working.

Regards,
Alejandro