Re: An idea: Apache Object Adaptor

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Darrin Thompson wrote:

> On 12/18/00, 1:51:24 PM, Elliot Lee <sopwith redhat com> wrote regarding
> Re: An idea: Apache Object Adaptor:
>

> > The essential idea seems to be to use Apache and CGIs and HTTP to
> > obliquely achieve what a multithreaded ORB would. It seems much more
> > efficient and advantageous to just get threading into the ORB. :)
>
> I considered this. Right now when I need threads I just mix ORBs. Works
> great. Hail CORBA. But the Apache approach seems to be a really
> interesting development environment. The developer can mix and match
> languages and performance requirements to his heart's content. Yeah,
> threading would help quite a bit, but this also opens up a lot of
> possibilities and flexibilty.
>
> What is the difficulty level of what I am suggesting?

Somewhere up there with 'crackhead'? :)

> If I took this on, I think I would end up with two shared objects, a
> library for GIOP over HTTP and a library for another Object Adaptor.
>
> Currently, would I have to patch the ORB itself to make it possible to
> use these two extensions?

I cannot honestly say what would be required to implement your idea,
because I don't understand it completely and certainly don't sympathize
enough to 'catch the vision'. Don't let me discourage you if it is really
a good idea, but you are going to have to fight this battle on your own,
because from all appearances you are undertaking the implementation of a
very convoluted and pointless piece of software.

-- Elliot
Who me? I just wander from room to room.