Re: [Korbit-cvs] Re: ANNOUNCE: Linux Kernel ORB: kORBit

Fredrik Vraalsen wrote:
> The cool thing is that the CorbaFS userspace server can implement any
> kind of filesystem you want, as long as it follows the CorbaFS
> interface!

Sorry, it's yet another one.  Or does it do something different?
(YAO hasn't stopped me working on userspace filesystems either :-)

> The current implementation exports the filesystem on the
> host machine that it is running on, similar to NFS.  But we also have
> ideas for FTP or web filesystems, for example.  Imagine being able to
> mount the web CorbaFS onto /mnt/www and do a
>
>   cat /mnt/www/www.kernel.org/index.html
>
> and the CorbaFS userspace server takes care of loading the webpage and
> returning it to the kernel client.  And these new filesystems don't
> take up any extra space in the kernel, since they all talk to the same
> CorbaFS kernel module!  Not to mention being able to implement the
> filesystem in any language you like, debug the implementation in
> userspace, etc.

A bit like CodaFS and Perlfs.  Except, being CORBA, you can run the
userspace server remotely? ;-) <evil grin>

-- Jamie