Re: ANNOUNCE: Linux Kernel ORB: kORBit

On 14 Dec 2000, Michael Livshin wrote:

> this might be because the Bell Labs folks don't like RPC in general
> when network latencies become involved?  I'm guessing.
>
> 'cause CORBA is still pretty much objectified RPC, as far as I know.
> I don't think you want to abstract the network out just like that when
> dealing with kernels.

OK, since everyone seems to want to argue about this on orbit-list for
some reason, my $0.02:
	CORBA/IIOP is saner than SunRPC in a lot of ways, and it's not too
	horribly more complicated to implement a barebones ORB than a
	barebones SunRPC impl.

	Comments about CORBA being too slow are nonsense - it's just that
	a few crackheads have tried to stick ORBit in the kernel as a
	global IPC mechanism, which it really is not suitable for. CORBA
	has its place, and a GIOP mapping to a kernel-friendly IPC
	mechanism (instead of TCP/IP) would certainly make it more useful
	in the kernel, but generic mechanisms such as CORBA cannot by
	definition be as fast as IPC mechanisms optimized for a specific
	task.

	People like Al Viro, who haven't written GNOME programs of any
	size and certainly don't have mounds of in-depth knowledge of it,
	should probably shut up about about its API & design. :)

TTFN,
-- Elliot
No new ideas for my .sig, and Alan told me my old one was an urban myth, so just
ignore this.