Re: RTL support in hippo canvas

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 15:21 +0200, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we have a few hippo canvas views in Sugar where we would need to
> support RTL layout. We have patches to manually reverse various boxes
> depending on the gtk RTL flag. I was wondering if we could come up
> with a better way to solve this in hippo...
>
> I can think of a couple of possibilities:
>
> * Automatic swapping a la gtk.HBox. I'm worried we might hit two many
> "false positives". Dan Winship experimented with this approach a while
> ago and I think he run into issues.
> * Support a direction:auto/rtl/ltr property in the stylesheets (auto
> would depend on the gtk rtl flag).

Well, GtkHBox isn't really completely "auto" ...there is
gtk_widget_set_text_direction() to override the false-positive cases.

I think the approach of auto+overrides is the right thing to do.

Doing that in the stylesheets ... hmm ... we haven't really used
the stylesheet to control layout properties yet, other than the basic
border and padding. But it is a possible approach.

Does CSS normally have any handling for this? (language-sensitive
layout?)

- Owen