Re: Help Newb get started

On Sun, 2007-11-18 at 10:10 -0500, Patrick wrote:
> Hi Everyone
>
> I am just learning about online desktops and I am really excited about
> the gnome projects efforts. Could someone help me clear some things up?

Sure!

> Is Gnome online a near duplicate of the Gnome desktop, do we still use GTK?

Yes, definitely still use GTK+!  We've been prototyping out the sidebar
using the canvas mostly because it would allow for a potentially sexier
UI, but admittedly it isn't sexy yet.

> It looks like there is access to a terminal, assuming that someone can
> view the online desktop from windoze, does the shell have hardware
> access on the windows client machine?

Ahh...we aren't considering a Windows port at the moment.

> It sounds like this project is in the early stages. Does anyone have a
> guess as to when a windows user would be able to have access to a
> reliable online gnome desktop, suitable for commercial use?

I can imagine that some parts of the online desktop would be fairly
easily portable to Windows, but it's not presently on our TODO list.

> Sorry for the dumb questions. I really like the Gnome desktop but I was
> reluctant to chance PyGtk as my toolkit for Windows Apps.

Well, I like using PyGTK for Windows apps, but admittedly there are some
rough spots with it.  What in particular was making you reluctant?
Installer pain?