GNOME Partnership with Mozilla Campus Clubs

Hi,

As some of you know, I have been working on a partnership between the Mozilla community and GNOME in order to grow our campus outreach initiatives. Mozilla has an initiative called Mozilla Campus Clubs [0]. At the end of September they will be running a pilot program on ~20 campuses in the United States. The goal of the program is to get students involved in Open Source.

Since our community is interested in expanding outreach to students, this is a great opportunity for us to work with existing student groups who want to learn to contribute to GNOME. Mozilla's platform provides us with templates so we can easily structure activities for students to use during their events. So far I have adapted the first two steps of the Newcomers Guide into two activities [1][2]. I'm planning to finish the rest of the activities next weekend. If anyone has feedback I would appreciate it!

I'm hoping that all of the mentors listed in the Newcomer's Guide will be willing to work with the students who are solving bugs as part of a Campus Clubs activity. I sent an email tonight to get detailed information from the Campus Clubs devs about what they expect from mentors in terms of availability to answer questions, etc. Should I reach out to the mentors individually, or is sending this email (and following up with more info before the start of the program) enough? Please let me know.

Thanks,
Meg
[0] https://campus.mozilla.community/
[1] https://github.com/MegFord/teach-gnome-newcomer/tree/gh-pages