Re: [gnome-love] Getting started

On Wed, 2014-01-22 at 15:23 +0530, Kashyap Murthy Salabhaktula wrote:
Hi,
    I am quite new to open source contribution. It seem to me that
gnome would be a pretty nice organization to start off with, given the
fact that it has robust documentation and diverse areas which I could
explore. But I am having trouble to choose where to start it off. Any
help in this regard would be helpful. I am comfortable with C/C++ and
python.

This question comes up frequently on this mailing list and there have
been many answers in the past.

You get started by starting to do something. Anything. Writing an e-mail
and asking is good but that is not the first step at all.

I know that deep inside you behave tactical when you ask "how to do [I]
get started?" (because I heard somewhere else that this funny
open-source thingy is good for my career).

You want to know whether investing any time, any effort at all, into
open-source (which looks so stupid, right?) is worth it. That's why you
*only* wrote an e-mail. Because asking that question, sending that
e-mail, took you very little effort. Most probably none at all.

Well, that's simply the wrong question, Kashyap. Do you really think
there is a good simple answer to that? A cookie-cutter recipe? Perhaps a
well-guarded secret?

I give you an answer, but not to your question: Start to think for
yourself. That's the first step.

And yes it's totally worth it.

ciao Michael

PS: I am deeply sorry if this comes off as cynical. It's not. It's very
very far away from being cynical. Please trust me on that.