[gnome-love] Contributing to Rhythmbox - Need some guidance

Hey guys. I want to begin contributing on open source software, and I've narrowed my options down to Rhythmbox, a Gnome project that I use the most.
I also have a few good ideas on a few plugins that I want to develop for Rhythmbox and I'm sure they'll be of decent use to the community.

I just need some guidance on what are the basic prerequisites I need to have before I dive in. I've sufficient knowledge of Python so I'm covered there. But what else do I need to read up on or get familiar with before I start my first Rhythmbox plugin? I have no clue about GStreamer or GObject etc.

Thanks.