Re: [gnome-love] Need help in understanding JHBuild

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 5:33 PM, Adam Dingle <adam medovina org> wrote:

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 4:57 PM, Ankit Arora <ankitarora121 gmail com> wrote:
Okay so I finally built rhythmbox via jhbuild after 8 hours of struggle.

If you just want rhythmbox it shouldn't take that much struggling!  :)  What distribution (i.e. operating system) and version of it are you running?  Depending on that, you might be able to build rhythmbox from git master by building only a few libraries, not the whole jhbuild world.

To expand on this, I just built Rhythmbox with jhbuild on my machine and it took all of about 5 minutes.  I'm running Ubuntu 13.10, which (like other recent distributions) can provide all the build dependencies which Rhythmbox requires:

$ sudo apt-get build-dep rhythmbox

I have this line in my .jhbuildrc, which tells jhbuild to build only the modules I ask for, not their dependencies:

skip = ['*']

So with the above, building Rhythmbox from git master is as easy as this:

$ jhbuild buildone rhythmbox

Done!  :)

adam