Re: [gnome-love] URIs and UUIDs

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 8:47 AM, אנטולי קרסנר <tombackton gmail com> wrote:
That's great, having UUIDs in Glib is perfect. I prefer not to write my
own solution, but wait first until Glib has UUDIs and use them.

Yes, having UUID in Glib would be great, because it's a common type, and for portability. Unfortunately, the maintainers do not seem interested atm. So I suggest you copy/adapt the patch I proposed.

Until Glib has UUIDs, I was planning to use libuuid, but the comments on
Bugzilla say it's not portable. Why? Does it mean I should prefer OSSP
UUID for a program which I want to compile for non-Linux systems?

I wouldn't bother with an external dependency that will not be easily portable for such as small thing. I suggest you implement your own or copy from my patch.

You should also show your interest in the bug, by leaving some comments, reviewing the proposed API etc.

--
Marc-André Lureau