Re: [gnome-love] Gnome 3.x HCL question

ons 2012-02-15 klockan 06:05 +0000 skrev Emmanuele Bassi:
creating a HCL for graphics card support is not entirely a trivial
matter. I can't just tell you "but $BRAND" because in reality there's
a complex, and largely intertwined set of requirements at play:

  http://wiki.clutter-project.org/wiki/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

The support depends on a lot of things:
linux kernel version including vendor patches
X version and patches
OpenGL libraries
graphics card maker and prom.

for AMD/ATi and nVidia, the closed source drivers may be an option -
but it generally has to be the latest version, and it's not guaranteed
to be working; we tend to expose bugs in the Linux support because the
Shell is not a primary target for them (i.e. it's not a game, and
Linux is not a sizeable market to devote many resources to).

I'm running a current version of debian wheezy and gnome-shell on an HP
machined with Intel 945G type graphics. And i do get occasionally screen
distortions, which is well known.