[gnome-love] jhbuild notification question

jhbuild notification seems to intermittantly alternate between tray
and popup notifications.

Initially it gave notifications via a tray icon which I liked.  Then
it switched after an update to popup notifications which I don't like.
 Today it first showed the tray icon, then on a subsequent build the
popups were shown.  The settings in .jhbuildrc are:

# Show a tray icon using zenity
notrayicon = False

# whether not to emit notifications through the notification daemon
nonotify = True

How do I disable the pop-ups and enable the tray icon?

Thanks,
-Brian