Re: [gnome-love] totem plugin development dependencies

On Fri, 2010-11-26 at 09:40 +0000, Richard Henwood wrote:
Hi All,

I was thinking about developing a plugin for totem to assist with
playing Project Gutenburg audio books.
A quick search suggests such a thing does not exist.

If the only thing that this plugin does is provide a list of audio
books, and the ability to search through them, I would advise you to
write a plugin to "grilo":
http://live.gnome.org/Grilo

In the future (hopefully for GNOME 3.0) it will provide the majority of
sources for Totem to use, and your "plugin" would automatically get UPnP
support.

so, I figured I'd get an python example and go from there...

however, it looks like compiling a totem plugin requires a build of
Totem?

And when I tried to build Totem from git/master, I got
./configure: line 4813: syntax error near unexpected token `0.6.7'
./configure: line 4813: `GOBJECT_INTROSPECTION_CHECK(0.6.7)'

You probably ignored warnings during the autogen.sh run. You need a
recent gobject-introspection development package installed.

That made me think I needed a more recent version of Gnome (I've got
what ever came with Ubuntu 10.4).

Can you confirm (or hopefully refute) that in order to develop a
python or c plugin for Totem, I must have a recent Gnome and Totem
built?

Ubuntu 10.4 is an old distribution to be trying to build Totem against.
If you really want to build Totem master, I would advise you to upgrade
to the latest version (they have some GNOME 3.x packages already) of
Ubuntu, or use something like jhbuild to compile totem master.

Cheers