Re: [gnome-love] Bugfixes for some icon themes and an observation for mahjongg

Tadeo,

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 7:30 PM, Tadeo Ortega <jafet_81 yahoo com> wrote:
Hi, I only write to you because I'm using the Ubuntu 4.10, with GNOME 2.8.1, and I was probing the themes that come with it, and I found that both, the smokey-blue and smokey-red sets of icons lack of both a home folder (gnome-fs-home.png) and a gnome-fs-directory-accept.png of the same style, and I was seeing brown icons instead of both. So, I take the job and made them, the smokey-blue and the smokey-red home folders, based on the gnome-fs-root.png icon from the Gnome default set of icons, *and only did a copy of gnome-fs-directory.png and renamed it as gnome-fs-directory-accept* to fix the incorrect brown color in both themes. Maybe the "bug" was fixed with newer versions of the Gnome, but if not, it will be fine I somebody can rename the fs-directory to create the fs-directory-accept icon, and add the icons I made to the smokey set of icons. Then I can send them, hoping that maybe can be useful for you.

Ubuntu 4.10 and GNOME 2.8.1 are from 2004, which is 6 years ago.  In the last 6 years there have been many more (12) successive releases of Ubuntu and GNOME and lots of things have changed.  It's great that you're interested in making some icon changes and sending them back to GNOME and/or Ubuntu, but I would strongly recommend that you first upgrade to a much newer Ubuntu/GNOME and look at how icons look today.

Talking about another topic, I want to say thank you for the mahjongg game, is one of my favorites, with Blackjack and the old Koules (did you remember it?). I have played the mahjongg game since several years ago in a old Win* machine, as a part of the old Win* Entertainment Pack (Now I have another Win* machine with that version of mahjonng game !) , and I comment you that in that mahjongg game if you win the game shows you a fortune cookie, and I understand that in the live game with real tiles, you can take a fortune cookie if you win. So, I was thinking about modifing the mahjongg game to show the fortune cookie, but I was searching in the Web seeking the sources of my gnome desktop (with mahjonng v2.8.1) , and I couldn't find them. So, I have no access to an up to date Gnome version, and I believe that compiling a newer mahjongg version in my workstation, maybe is not a good idea, because the problem of the dependencies. I was thinking about taking some fortunes from the fortune program, and maybe more from my inspiration and/or from public domain (or under free license) from the Web. I'm gonna try to find the source in the gnome ftp site, anyway, and I would like know if you are interested in such hacking.

The source to GNOME Mahjongg 2.8.1 can be found here:

http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/gnome-games/2.8/gnome-games-2.8.1.tar.bz2

Unpack this archive and look in the 'mahjongg' directory.  You should be able to build this on your GNOME 2.8.1 machine without much problem.  Again, if you're interested in contributing to Mahjongg's development then you'll almost certainly need to upgrade to a much newer release of GNOME.

adam