Re: [gnome-love] Strange recent changes

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 9:02 PM, Carlos Pereira <carlao2005 gmail com> wrote:
Hello Magnus,

You could exchange keyboards, just for testing. If the behaviour
accompanies the keyboard, it will be proved that the two gnomes should
be different, not equal, since the keyboards will be different... :-)
Maybe one keyboard send strange "scan codes", and you will have to
deal with it by changing some configuration file.

The case with USB probably follows the same idea, the usb controller
inside your cpus probably are different, and deal with usb devices in
a different way.

A suggestion for you and others: when reporting some question or
problem, it is a good practice to list the computers hardware
configuration - processor, speed, memory, etc.

Yes, I could, and I will.  However, I fail to see any hardware reason for the difference in behaviour between the two systems; their behaviour was identical under Gnome 2.20!  The only thing that has changed is that  both systems have been upgraded (gradually) to Gnome 2.22.

I'll try switching keyboards but I don't expect any change as a result of it.

/M

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 5:54 AM, Magnus Therning <magnus therning org> wrote:
> I have two Gnome systems that I use on a daily basis.  Both are 64-bit
> systems running Debian Sid.  From what I can see by comparing installed
> (Gnome-related) packages they are basically the same (I've compared the
> output of `dpkg --get-selections` from both systems).  The same goes for
> the gconf settings (I've compared the output of `gconftool-2 -R  /` from
> both systems).  Still after the Gnome 2.22 packages started trickling in
> they have started to display slightly different behaviour:
>
> - On system one (at home) the Gnome keyboard shortcuts work.  I've set
> Ctrl+Alt+b to launch my browser, Ctrl+Alt+Home to pop up Nautilus in my
> home folder, and Ctrl+Alt+l to lock the system.  They all work on system
> one!  On system two (at work) however the keyboard shortcuts have no
> effect at all!
>
> - On system two my USB media player shows up with a name based on its
> label, something like "Removable Media: TheLabel".  On system one though
> it's called "1.9 GB Removable Volume", it's label is nowhere to be seen.
>
> What am I over looking?  How can a get my Gnome keyboard shortcuts back
> on system two, and how can I change how removable volumes are displayed
> on system one?
>
> /M
>
> --
> Magnus Therning                             (OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4)
> magnus@therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning@gmail.com
> http://therning.org/magnus
>
> What if I don't want to obey the laws? Do they throw me in jail with
> the other bad monads?
>     -- Daveman

Prof. Carlos José de Almeida Pereira
Universidade Estadual de Santa cruz
Ilhéus - Bahia - Brasil

BLOG:
     http://starfightercarlao.blogspot.com
     http://starfightercarlaoenglish.blogspot.com (english version)

The Hacker Attitude:
    1. The world is full of fascinating problems waiting to be solved.
    2. Nobody should ever have to solve a problem twice.
    3. Boredom and drudgery are evil.
    4. Freedom is good.
    5. Attitude is no substitute for competence.
                                 (Eric S. Raymond)