[gnome-love] Volunteers wanted: New GUI for printerdrake

Hi,

during 6 years at Mandriva I have developed printerdrake, the printer setup tool of the Mandriva Linux distribution. Printerdrake has a lot of interesting features to get all kinds of printers to work easily, including special printers which need extra daemons (HP's multi-function devices) or firmware uploads (HP LaserJet 1000/1005/1018/1020). As the gnome-cups-manager is not maintained upstream any more I have thought about upstreamizing (making distro-independent) printerdrake and especially proposed printerdrake for Ubuntu (see here also all features of printerdrake):

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrinterDrake
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/printerdrake

Problem is only that all dialogs currently in printerdrake are based on a convenience library from Mandriva (Interactive). Once, the GUI experts at Ubuntu did not succeed to port these convenience libraries into Ubuntu, and second, the library has a lot of problems with dialog layout, as letting text fields getting much bigger than the text, missing scrollbars and similar things.

So we decided to replace the dialogs by GTK dialogs, perhaps made with Glade. As at Ubuntu we did not find anyone to do this work, I am now searching for volunteers to do this work. And do not think it is only for Ubuntu, no, it will make a great printer setup tool available for all distributions, even for Mandriva.

To try out printerdrake simply download and boot a live CD of the current Mandriva (Mandriva One Spring Edition 2007.1, both the KDE and GNOME versions come with printerdrake). This environment is also recommended to work on the GUI development, as you do not need to replace all dialogs at once, but you can work on one dialog after the other.

printerdrake is written in Perl, the files belonging to printerdrake and the user documentation you can also get here:

http://www.linux-foundation.org/~till/tmp/printerdrake/

If you like to create a new GUI for printerdrake, please tell. I will help on all questions on how printerdrake works.

Let's make a great tool working on all distributions.

   Till