[gnome-love] Sending _GNOME_PANEL_ACTION?

Is there some GNOME library function that allows controlling the panel
from a separate program?

Openbox comes with a little command line tool that basically sends
_GNOME_PANEL_ACTION to the root window in order to either display the
main menu or show the run dialogue. I'm looking for a GNOME library that
provides the same functionality. (If there's a python binding for the
library it'd be even better :-)

/M

magnus therning org             Jabber: magnus therning gmail com
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little
Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety
     -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759