Re: [gnome-love] Where to make a policy suggestion?

--- David Berg <drberg1000 gmail com> wrote:
Repeat steps 1-3 if you aren't looking for copies of
the same disk.

But isn't putting a list of filenames into the
terminal a real pain?
(Especially since dragging files to it has a bug)

The idea behind that being that you can have a
different environment
when logging in different ways.  I can't give an
example of when its
useful because I don't have one for bash.  I do for
X though.  If I'm
logging in locally I want to run gnome because I
don't need to worry
about network lag.  However, If I'm logging in over
the network

Whoa stop right there... you can log in over the
network??? I wouldn't even know the purpose of that,
and I doubt more than 1% of users would either.

And that is one of our major problems. We're not
on
the same level as the users we are hoping to reach
with GNOME.

I agree.  The solution isn't in hiding how things
work though.  We'd
get a lot farther by finding developers who
understand (or at least
willing to listen to) the users who simply want to
spend as little
time at the computer as possible.  Then sticking
those developers with
the not so desirable job of working between the
developers and these
users as a type of translator.

Introducing... the GNOME usability project :)

In my opinion it would be ultimate if one had an
incredible memory for
options.  But alas, I don't have my uncle's
photographic memory, so
I'll have to continue reading man pages repeatedly
until the GUIs are
up to par.

Exactly. Reading man pages is not my idea of fun.
Whereas one can figure out a GUI quite quickly. And
the documentation for GUIs is usually a lot better
than man pages. (At least I hope so -- I'm blowing my
own trumpet here, as I'm on the docs team :)

And perhaps this is the real difference between
hardcore command line users and the rest of us. The
former see the computer as a toy: learning how it
works is fun. I see the computer as a tool: it sits
between me and what I want to do, and it should be as
unobtrusive as possible.

http://uk.security.yahoo.com