Re: [gnome-love] IDEA : new windows menagment tool

On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 14:54:23 +0400, Nickolay V. Shmyrev wrote:
В Птн, 30/06/2006 в 20:11 +0200, Marco Amato пишет:

Today I work whit my loved gnome and I think..

me: where is the kile windows...
- 1 minute later -
me: Oh.. is here

And maybe after I need to go to the tutorial windows and go again to
the first windows...

So ... the idea :

Can be graet if I can assoce a key to a windows... like

[SHIFT] + [w] + [key]  for associate and then I press the [key]
and ... ehi ! here is my window :-D

I think that this can be a very power tool...

Sombody can say if is possible, and how to make this dream com true
(if is a valid dream :-D )

thanks alots

Marco Amato

Hi Marco

You idea is nice although I wonder if it will be accepted by wide range
of users. Probably, you may want to bring the window which title you
type instead of using user-assigned keys. For example, you may want to
start with keypress Ctrl+Alt+... (although there are many keys, almost
all keybindings are now busy, so it will be hard to find free one) and
then type Evolution to bring evolution windows.

Anyhow, you can try to implement it for yourself, that should be rather
easy. If you brave enough, you can start with building metacity and
libwnck from CVS. Ask when you'll be ready

I think there's already a tool that does it:
http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php?soft_id=1231

/M

magnus therning org             Jabber: magnus therning gmail com
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the
ark; professionals built the Titanic.
     -- Anonymous