Re: [gnome-love] ALInex - ADSL Modems - Portugal

Luis Rodrigues wrote:

I used an ADSL USB modem in the UK with AOL.
I got it working perfectly with EciAdsl
(http://eciadsl.flashtux.org/)

However, connecting to the internet always required a
root user command (issued in terminal, or with a
gksudo launcher on the panel). I didn't work out how
to integrate it better into the system (so it would
connect automatically on startup, or on USB plug-in).
Hope that helps.

Our problem is that people use lots os different modems (speedtouch,
icedata, etc) and we would like to create a common framework to
configure them in gnome.

Well we had the same problem in Belgium for our custom Debian
derivative (<http://www.librassoc.be>) and started working on
something (<http://networkfoo.labs.libre-entreprise.org>) but
got distracted by other things (like working on an applet to
initiate connections since networkmanager was not appropriate
by that time) and never got around to really have something
working.

You could contact devel lists bxlug be where the main developer
(Didrik Pinte) could perhaps share some ideas.

So we need ideas how to implement this a a way it is usefull for
everyone.

The general idea was to use the project utopia stack (dbus / hal)
to match against USB ADSL modem .fdi files and then having an
application much like gnome-volume-manager that would detect the
modem being plugged in.

This is definitely an array where work is needed, probably by
integrating ADSL support to NetworkManager (PPP support is now
available thanks to VPN support so this would be easier than
before).

Regards,

        Frederic