[gnome-love] newbie looking to get involved

Hello everyone,

I'm new to GNOME programming, but eager to get involved. I have an
idea for something to do (see below), but I'm looking for the right
place to get some help when I get stuck.

The idea is o make a program to capture 'mouse gestures', i.e., if the
user moves the mouse in a particular way, some action is performed,
say, running an application, minimizing a window or switching to
another desktop. There is another project out there doing something
similar, but it's KDE based, still in the alpha stage and lacks a lot
of configuration/features. I'm thinking the way to go with this
program is to make a panel applet, as it doesn't really need a window
of its own while running, just for configuration.

Anyway, does it sound like something people would want? Also, does it
sound do-able? I have a fair amount of experience with programming
C/C++, including some GUI programming, but, as I said, don't know much
about GNOME programming.

Best regards,

Arjen