Re: [gnome-love] Command-line usability

On 18 Aug 2005, at 09:16, Soyapi Mumba wrote:

If we can find a way where people can submit what they
expect from each letter [a-zA-Z] as a command-line
option, we should be able to come up with reasonable
recommendations, considering which options options are
popular for which functions.

Any ideas how we can best do that?

I would say it's probably easier to do some research yourself up front (i.e. look at all the short options that the most common commands use, for some reasonable definition of 'common'), and write up a proposal for people to comment on. At that point, you might want to bring it to the attention of the freedesktop.org folks, as it's the sort thing that you'd want to be consistent outside the realm of GNOME too.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Team