Re: [gnome-love] Do I use Gconf for this?

On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 18:43 -0400, ethan zimmerman wrote:
I'm creating a little text editing program, that lets people add there
own custom tags from a drop down menu. (i.e. Tools->Insert Tag->(user's
tag list)) And I'm currently storing the users custom tags in a text
file like this.....

name open close
bold <b> </b>
italic <i> </i>
yadda yadda yadda
larry moe curly

Is this something I should be using Gconf for or should I stick with a
file in the users home directory? Also if the answer is file does anyone
know of some good examples for implementing that (my current file
structure isn't very good)?

Storing that in gconf makes sense, I guess.

You could lump the whole thing into one string and store that, with some
formatting so as to be able to tell the pieces apart. That formatting
might be xml, if you are so inclined (evolution does that for accounts,
for example); gconf is sub-stellar at handling structured data, so you
need to do something in this spirit, anyways.

Cheers,

-- m

--
Mariano Suárez-Alvarez <msuarezalvarez arnet com ar>