Re: [Fwd: Re: [gnome-love] start-menu]

On Sat, 2003-05-03 at 23:04, Darryl Rees wrote:
Thijs, Norman,
what is wrong with the design of the gnome start menu? Care to be a bit
more specific?

Norman, what is a side image?

Take a look at teh KDE 3 screenshots - there's a thin little "banner"
along the side of the menu.  It makes the menu feel a lot more
professional; it is, basically, eye candy.  I personally think it makes
the main menu feel "haevier", more important - which I think is good,
but that's just me.  ~,^

Surely you guys are not suggesting something like the monstrosity in
Windows XP.
It's so hard to find stuff in that damn thing.

Something "like" as is being more than just a list of apps, perhaps.
Exactly the same layout as the WinXP one... dear gods no.  ~,^

Just a few simple things could be done to make it a bit easier, tho.
For example, the Network Servers/Help/etc. all "disappear", as you don't
really notice them - you are just looking at a list of topics.  Even a
simple separator between topics and actions on the top-level menu would
be nice.

Other things, like Preferences (and System Settings on RH) should be
split out - yes, technically, they are applications, but that's not how
a user sees it - they should be split out from the list of sections for
apps that perform tasks, into a separate
options/preferences/settings/whatever space.  It's just organization,
basically.

Stuff like recently used apps or most used apps... those have to be done
right, and should probably use some study from the usability@ folks.
Recent apps seems rather useless to me, and most commonly used or
favorites would need to have a decent heuristic for picking the entries
to display.  (especially for when users' work habits change)

Cheers,
Darryl.

Norman Jonas wrote:

Thijs Thiessens schrieb:

I would like to start a new project called GKickOff. It's about the
design of the gnome Start Menu. I would like to develop a series of
guidlines which describes a good startmenu. To start I should conduct
some polls perhaps to investigate what people really would like to see
in their. If I have enough information, I could actually build one,
perhaps as a module, which can be plugged in. I could perhaps develop
more start menu's each with it's own special set of features. I think of
it not only being a good add on to the theming concept, but it also
provides very usefull functionality. Because currently, the Gnome Start
Menu, is just an underestimated and bad designed part of Gnome.

Is this a good idea? Is their already such a project? (I could not find
any though..) If their isn't already a project for this, are their other
people willing to help?

Thijs

I absolutly agree with you. A better start menu with at least a side
image possible would improve GNOME's competitive power. And there are
certainly other users that would agree, even though there will be some
that will complain, too. IMHO such a start menue should be flexible
enough to provide a small and simple menue as well as an graphic
intense impressing one. Furthermore it should fit into the GNOME
codebase (=C) so that it could possibly be included into GNOME.

A similar discussion has taken place here
http://www.themedepot.org/itemdetail.php4?id=364 some time ago and
there are already some thoughts of people.