Re: [gnome-love] Xaw

On  8 Jul 2003, "mike flyn org" <mike flyn org> wrote:
I've been using various X Athena-based applications for years, However...

Call me crazy, but a modern, user-friendly desktop should not contain
applications built with the X Athena widget library.  I think most people
would feel it is ugly and difficult to use.  However, most packaging
systems out there strongly recommend installing Xaw applications.
For example, Debian's xbase-clients contains several Xaw applications.

Of these applications, I would like to start a discussion about which
are no longer needed, which have GNOME replacements and which need
replacements written.  If I get some agreement about Xaw and some input, I
would like to petition various package managers to make their packages
a bit more fine grained.  For example, xbase-client could become
xbase-client and xbase-client-xaw.

That's a good question.

      Package xbase-client:
              Xaw App.        GNOME App.
              ==========================
              beforelight     xscreensaver

It would be nice if xscreensaver consistently used the GNOME HIG for
the password prompt.  Apparently jwz feels there is a reason not to do it.

              bitmap          gimp?

or gnome-iconedit or gpaint?

              editres         ?
              listres         ?
              viewres         ?

Cool as these are, I don't think they ever ought to need to be used by
end users, and I'm not sure if they will even do anything very useful
for GNOME apps.

              xbiff           gbiff
              xcalc           GNOME's calculator
              xclipboard      ?

I think there is a third-party applet somewhere that allows you to
keep multiple clippings, etc.

Within GNOME's simplified user model, having multiple selections
around at the same time is perhaps an unnecessary complication.  I
think it's OK for this to be provided by an addon for users who want
it.

              xclock          various GNOME clocks
              xconsole        ?

I guess this is covered by the log viewer application.  I personally
don't think the UI design is very good at the moment -- e.g. the false
dichotomy between viewing and monitoring logs, etc.  But the basic
functionality is there, translated to the way Unix machines work today
with log files rather than console logs.

              xcutsel         not needed?
              xditview        not needed?
              xedit           gedit

... thank goodness.

              xf86cfg         xf86config, distribution-provided tools
              xfd             ?

gfontsel or fontilus.

              xfontsel        GNOME applications should display fonts in menus
              xgamma          Why does this require Xaw?

Good question.  It would be nice if this were integrated with the
control panel.

              xgc             GNOME IDEs?
              xkbbell         ?

This doesn't expose a user interface either.  I don't know why it uses
Xaw.

              xkbvleds        ?

I think there is a thirdparty applet for this.

              xkbwatch        ?

Not for end users?

              xload           gtop, various panel applets
              xlogo           ?

gnome-about?

              xmag            GNOME
              xman            yelp
              xmessage        gdialog
              xsm             gnome-session
              xvidtune        ?

I don't think users should be exposed to the low-level detail of
xvidtune.  xrandr-level information should be in the control panel.

      Package tetex-bin:
              Xaw App.        GNOME App.
              xdvi.real       xgdvi (NEEDS TO BE PORTED TO gtk2.0?
              oxdvi.real      xgdvi  should GNOME have one electronic
                                     document viewer for pdf, ps, dvi, etc?)

      Package gv:
              Xaw3d App.      GNOME App.